Suspect accused of killing possible girlfriend arraigned after the Westchester murder put six district schools on ‘lock-out’

By Carol McIlmurray

On February 27, at approximately 7:16AM, the Tarrytown Police Department received a 911 call reporting a dispute in an apartment at the Sleepy Hollow apartment complex, 177 White Plains Road in the village of Tarrytown.

Upon police arrival, responding units located 34-year-old Jessica Wiltse, the resident of the Sleepy Hollow apartment.

Wiltse was semi-conscious and bleeding. Subsequently, it was determined that the victim sustained what is presently believed to be gunshot wounds. The victim was transported by Tarrytown Ambulance to the Westchester Medical Center where she was later pronounced deceased.

Immediate assistance was requested from the surrounding police agencies for help with the murder investigation and finding the suspect that fled. Notification was made to the schools and childcare facilities in the area. Upon receiving notification the Tarrytown school system placed their schools on “lock-out”.

“Lock-out” is a part of SAFE ACT, a NYS school safety procedure that bars the entrance to the school in a state of imminent threat or perceived danger to school and children safety.

The lock out remained until dismissal. Uniformed police officers were present as the suspect was still at large. Tarrytown police with the assistance of multiple agencies began an extensive search for the man accused of killing his possible girlfriend.

The investigation into the fatal encounter is being conducted in conjuction with the Greenburgh PD, Westchester County PD, Westchester DA’s office, Irvington Police, Sleepy Hollow Police, Metro North Police, the NYS police, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Investigative divisions including the Real Time Crime Unit assisted in the same day apprehension of Brown.

A description of the murder suspect that fled the area was obtained by Tarrytown Police.  Based on a collaborative effort comprised by numerous police agencies Cynell Brown, 28-year-old-male, was identified as the main suspect.

Port Authority Police found the suspected killer after a 12-hour manhunt. Brown was attempting to buy a ticket for himself, his aunt and her child to Wilmington, Delaware from the Greyhound Bus station.

Brown was found at 7:15PM inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal, 625 8th ave in Manhattan. Port Authority plain clothes detained and arrested Brown.

During the course of the multi-agency investigation a firearm has been recovered.

Brown was charged last night on February 28 at 6:30PM with Murder 2nd in Tarrytown Justice Court.

Defendant Cynell L. Brown

Date of Birth January 13, 1990